Progress and other stuff - Thur 30/10/08.

Thur 30/10/08. Not a huge week at the DeGauls, but then again, I'm comparing each week now with my massive week 15 when so much happened (refer time-line).

In summary
- Piers to front pergola and rear alfresco finally bricked
- Garage roof tiles completed
- Front door painted
- More minor repairs to internal walls following first splash of paint
- Framework, internal doors and shelving painted
- oh...and an un-invited guest sometime during Monday night....!!! (more below)

PD got wise to my "unlocked window" trick and now ensure all windows are firmly locked each night.......... only to leave half the doors unlocked...!!
Tonight was the first night since we were only a piece of mud that the house has been fully inaccessible. All windows and doors firmly locked, and the owner left out. Given the stage the house is now at, I wasn't fussed.
.

Front 104s with their coat of "Scorpion".

.
Garage now has a top.


Wooden posts to front pergola and rear alfresco now bricked...!!


.
These`photos from yesterday
.

Internal access to garage (I've been wanting one of these for 23 years..!!)
.

The front 104s from the inside, painted up and looking smart. (Wife had assumed these would be Scorpion on the inside as well, yet they look to be finish coated white...! Must check the documents. Think I prefer the way they are now)
.

Internal walls have had a coat applied, but now have dots.
.

Downpipes are paperbark, which wife likes. I'm thinking perhaps Pearl Grey may have been a better call, per the guttering. Opinions welcome.
.

This is what confronted the tradies on Tuesday morning. Pantry window smashed, and doors left wide open. Perhaps someone looking for a Blanco..? Nothing to steal at this stage, and fortunately no damage to walls. If this is my only break-in til handover, I'll be happy. Where are those security guards when you need them?
.

Ok, a few have asked me what was the furniture I had planned to put into the HT room against the "gray mood" walls. This photo shows my current setup at our existing home. 3 theatre recliners purchased from Roth Newton (yes there are 4 of us, but we could only fit 3 in our room....which was once our formal lounge). I will be trying to find a fourth matching chair shortly.
Above these is a Mitsubishi DLP projector purchased from Big Picture People.

.
Now this needs some explanation (for anyone interested). We couldn't mount the 240cm screen on the wall to the right because we didn't have sufficient distance from projector to screen, So we had to turn our room sideways, and then create a solution to mount the screen. The answer...2 aluminium tubes running from floor to ceiling. All this (minus the tubes) will be packed up and moved to the new Cremorne.

7 comments:

Toni said...

WOW, love all the pics. 104's look fantastic! Hope you and Suzi are loving them ;-) Great choice in colour. They will only paint/stain inside if it's specified. I think a few people have been caught out with this.

Great that the garage is finished and the bricking. Wonder who picked up the painting flaws already? SS?

That security guard must of been having a snooze somewhere.....hope that's the first and last time someone breaks in.

I think the downpipes look fine, they look same/similar colour to your window frames and fascia. Don't look out of place to me.

Good luck on finding that extra HT chair!

BelleBeau said...

Those scorpion doors look wow! They really make a statement at the front and look great. Can sympathise with the door fromthe garage, this is one thing we are also really looking forward to. All in all there really has been a fair amount of work done, I think it is just at this stage it looks so close you can't understand why they don't just finish it.

Petal said...

Grrrrr about your "visitors"...wouldn't you just love to get a hold of them and let them (or their parents!!!) know what you think!!!

Wow - looks like you're all set up for your HT - one less expense!!! We still have to look into all of that....might have to wait!

Those chairs will look striking against the grey wall.

As for the downpipes/gutter, etc...it's probably one of those things that you worry about as soon as it's done, and then you won't even notice it after a while.
I picked white for our aluminium windows, and when they first went in I thought 'What have I done???' Now, I don't notice them, they just blend in . So, I think your dps will be fine ;-)

THE HOLIDAY GANG said...

Hey DG
Looking great - which we were at your stage.
We too have had the locked windows but unlocked doors. Doesn't make sense does it?
Agree how great it looks once the roof is on the garage - really completes the look of the house doesn't it.
I wouldn't worry about the downpipes, like Petal said, you won't even notice once you move in. We are worrying about the colour of our fascia and gutters. Think it only natural that we second guess all our colours. Would be great if PD could come up with a 3D software program that shows us all our colour selections before we build - dreaming I know.
Have to say I love the eaves, this is one thing DH and I have regretted not doing in our home. They really finish the house off well and reduce that square box feeling of a double storey.
..and as for the break in, just can't believe the stupidity and waste of it all, especially when your estate has security.
WHen do you expect to move in?

DeGaul said...

Thanks all

H2B. I can assure that Sue and I love our 104s. Couldnt imagine anything else at the front. Not sure however if we will come to regret not opting for the glazed slats in the door, as you have done...!!
You get a start on paint?

Bellebeau. Someone told me recently that from completion of paint to handover is average 6 weeks..!! Our painting looked to have finished yesterday, judging by what we can see through the windows. Having said this, garage & alfresco ceilings yet to be painted.

Petal. I don't dislike our paperbark downpipes, but just think woodland grey may have blended better with the brick (my thoughts are that downpipes are something that shouldn't stand out...).
You're spot on in that there are/will be numerous times when you step back and question your colour selection. Part of the experience.

Gang. I've always been a bit of an eaves fan (awallace is the same). Very much agree that many of the two stories can look rather "boxy" from certain angles and profiles. (The Cremorne no exception), so the eaves help to soften this a bit.
I'm thinking end Dec for keys...!! (don't quote me..)

Toni said...

I think you can buy some kind of film to put over your glass if need be. You may find though that you may not need it in your Court.

Yep painters started on Wednesday (?) Steve went out Thursday night and they were still there working, doors were off, skirting undercoated and some walls. We are heading over today after lunch to have a peek and hopefully get some photos. They told Steve that they may work today and hope to be finished by next Thursday. Tilers coming in the week after.

Anonymous said...

Bit of a belated comment, but it took me a while to catch up on my blog reading and find your Mads. They look great. I'm glad we chose the same colour. Just as a matter of interest re the inside paint for the doors - we paid just over $800 to upgrade and have the Scorpion paint on the inside as well. A king-hit would have hurt less! But we had to have it.

Cheers
Liana