Busy busy days....Tue 16/12/108

Tue 16/12/08. You know, I think I was more relaxed and care free PRIOR to taking delivery of our house. Life has been a bit of a blurr since Friday. Predominantly taken up with laying 99 square meters of laminate, which has meant me going straight from work to site, and then getting home around 11pm..! We are 95% complete, with just the under stairwell area, and one or two intricate cuts still to do. Will then need to apply 19mm stained quad around all edges.

Today our driveway has started, with excavation and boarders completed. Tomorrow they will pour the concrete, Thursday complete the stencil pattern and Friday apply the sealant.
No driving on it for approx 5 days after that. In the meantime, I will be painting the garage floor.

Security was also installed today. A Bosch System16. Pretty impressive features, and will be wired back to Sanctuary Lakes security centre when our phone lines are in. If it goes off while we are out, security come around, open the house, inspect it for illegal entry, reset it, and call us advising of such. The system also includes 3 smoke detectors (in addition to normal legal ones), also wired back to the security centre. Not a bad service (well sounds good anyway).
.

Ok. stencil will be large squares at 45deg. (perhaps called diamonds....?)

.

Laminate. I cleaned a small section for this photo, but needless to say, there is quite a bit of dust about the house at the moment.


Bosch control panel. This thing even sends/receives emails from the control centre.
.

Ok, this for "Team Windsor". Our neighbours had their PCI last Friday. Not sure when their handover is. Despite my crappy night photo, this is a smart looking Windsor. Liana, I will try to get some day snaps and also the staircase. It looks terrific. I think owned by Chinese.
.
Next update will show completed driveway, appliances and completed (and cleaned) floor.
.
Perry. Forgot to take photos of the undercut door jams. Sorry.....next time.
Toni. 3 more sleeps. Can you hear the jingle of those keys in your sleep..?
Petal. No more blog....?

10 comments:

THE HOLIDAY GANG said...

Hi again - once again have to say floors look great. Bet you'll be happy when all finished.
Good to get that driveway done too, even though you have to wait 5days to be able to drive on it. Can't wait to see finished product as we are considering patterned concrete as well. ..if we ever move in that is (he he).

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

DG, all very impressive whats happening at your place, security, lights at night, drive way, laminate, not long now before its all memories. R&C

Anonymous said...

Oh David!
I really do feel for you guys at the moment. Building is one thing but doing all those extra (necessary) bits, straight after handover, just before Xmas, while still working fulltime, getting very little sleep and bending your body into positions that just aren't normal ... is far more stressful! You're doing a great job?

The floors look sensational. Very impressed with how neat and close the joins/cuts are around the walls.

The driveway concept sounds great. Yes, those squares on their sides are definitely diamonds but the real ones at Michael Hill, and they're probably cheaper than the driveway diamonds. Can't wait to see the pics. We've got a similar concept in mind for ours.

Thanks for the Windsor pic. I've seen many of them around our estate and it IS a very nice looking house ... when it's finished. I think I'll still be Windsor-blogging from a retirement home!!!

Cheers
Liana

Bernadette and Perry said...

You certainly aren't letting the grass grow under your feet. So much to do before Christmas, so little time :-). It's coming up really well, very impressive. Like your choice of laminate flooring. Should look very good. It's a nice feeling to walk on it and know that you did it yourself. You've inspired me ... I need to go out and paint some quad...

DeGaul said...

Hi all. Our floors currently look ok, but not great. They are covered with a thick layer of wood dust and shoe grime, and we have noted (with a touch of concern) that their surface characteristic doesn’t allow for a simple sweep and clean....!! The dust settles into the pattern groves, and conventional brooms don’t get it out…!! ggrrr
Wife thinks a soft hair broom will do the trick (or $1000 Dyson), and an urgently needed mop. Will hold off on photos until this is done.

Liana & Perry. Yep, doing the hours at the moment. Lucky to have some good help. Will start gradually moving things in this weekend, just to reduce the turmoil of Boxing Day to New Years.

Liana. Well obviously I took the photo of the floor were the joins and cuts are neat and close. Mate, I’d be telling a little white lie if I said that they were all like this…!!! There is a few “nasty” ones, but I’m going to blame my brothers for these (ha). Thank goodness for quad…!!

Toni said...

Your house is looking great David and I have to say that my excitement builds after reading your posts and seeing your pics. Looking forward to seeing the finished product in real life.

My tip for the floors - Enjo. Still expensive for a mop but not as much as a Dyson :-) But then again a Dyson for the carpet would be a good idea too.

Alarm system sounds great.....and emails.....yeah I'd be there every morning and night checking them hehe

Well done, you are getting through the flooring quickly. It'll be ready to move into before you know it!

I've been dreading the job of painting the quad for months! What product are you using for the garage as we are doing this too but using a clear one.

Two more sleeps for us!

DeGaul said...

Hi T. My quad is being stained, not painted. Jarrah stain on pine quad matches my floor perfectly, and is applied by cloth. (Could be a fun job for little B maybe...? No..?).
500ml of stain, $24 from Mitre10. I will be starting to nail the quad in tonight, particularly around the kitchen and cooking area, as my dishwasher and BBB are due tomorrow.

As for garage floor, my driveway guy has offered to acid prep the floor tomorrow morning (for a slab) and gave me a contact where to buy the paint, which I did. 20litres at $125 V Bunnings 10litres at $157...!! Email if you need details. Will be applying the paint tomorrow arvo, although not yet sure with what ie roller, mop etc. Wanting a smooth finish, so dust and dirt virtually blows away in the wind. (That's the theory anyways).

BelleBeau said...

Wow David, are you sleeping???
Naps during lunch hours at work?
Can't believe how much you are getting done and it all looks great.

Selfishly looking forward to your driveway pictures as it's what I am thinking of for our place (if it ever gets finished). Given the rain, I'm sure you can't wait to get it down.

Merry Christmas

Awallace said...

Hi David.

The flooring is hard work, and looking good. You must be
stuffed...:) Hope you get good weather for the pouring of your concrete.

In relation to the sealing, it really should be done a week or 2 after the stenciling, as the concrete salt rises to the surface, part of the drying process. Once completely dry, then its sealed. I have heard this from a few veteran concreters...

Chat soon

Andy

Toni said...

Yes, I did see that your quad would be stained. We/I are painting ours the same as the skirtings - chalk dust in a gloss to match. Up until early this year when I started looking at displays I didn't even know what a quad was. My sister pointed them out to me one day as it didn't match the floor and then showed me the quads at her house which were painted the skirting colour and looked like it was part of the skirting.....won me over.

Yes please, would love the contact for the garage. Ta.

You are really going to deserve a break on Christmas Day :-)