Sunday 22/2/09. Handover plus 10 weeks

Sun 22/1/09. Hi all. Apologies for being sooo missing in action of late. To cut a long story short, the demands of work has been unbelievable since Christmas, and then there is the never ending amount of tasks to be done on any new home.

Add to this, I have had minimal internet access, (let alone time to use it when I have had it) and then lost my PC to a very nasty virus......!!! Other than that, all has been great....

I have been following most of your blogs on my Blackberry, but those of you who have a blackberry will support me in saying that they have a specific use, and reading and responding to blogs is NOT one of them..! Great to see that so many of you (with the exception of perhaps one) have progressed in your builds, and some of you are very close to completion.

My priority very shortly after taking delivery of our house was to address the horrific amount of dust and general grime that was coming into the house every time someone went outside and came in again..!! Our new flooring and carpet copped a battering for weeks, and our trusty $120 vacuum cleaner just didn't cut it. (error no. 352 - Why did we not find more $$ for ducted vacuuming?) An expensive trip to the Good Guys has now resolved this (below).

We now have paths around at least 2/3 of the house, including to the clothes line, and let me tell you that while concrete can be rather bland and boring, we now have a fresh new admiration for it. Those of you about to take delivery of your lovely new homes, do yourself a favour and bump your paths up the priority list of things to do....

Thanks to some terrific help from brother Brian and good mate Tony, our decking to the alfresco was completed last week, and I have to say that this has come up a real treat. With the bi-folds open, this area is every bit as cosy as we anticipated.
.
Next important project is side gates to each side of house for privacy, then front and rear landscaping.


Alfresco. Merbau is not yet stained









Theatre room. Posters $10ea, delivery $18ea and frames $40ea


New dust control system. Nice little beast.

9 comments:

Toni said...

Wow, great post and yes I've been waiting and waiting for it :-)

Alfresco looks great and the furniture looks so much better out there than in the HT ;-)

Paths, fantastic. Hope the dust/dirt settles down in the house now. Although I'm sure that little Dyson does a good job.

So next meal, BBQ in the Alfresco?

Benjamin has just come in and said "hey they didn't have that green one afore at Aweeze's" then "have they got concrete now, oh man" (he's talking about the Alien Poster and it is afore not before) I love how he says "L's" name.

Looking forward to the next update. We've done nothing but put up a few frames.......we are very slow in this Cremorne.

BelleBeau said...

WOW DAVID! How good does that alfresco look!!!!! God, if I had one looking like that I wouldn't be blogging either.

Sounds like you have been technologically challenged a far bit recently. Happens like that doesn't it.

LOL, yes we are just trying to get quotes for the concreting so we can get it done post-haste post-handover, although for us I pray that the problem we have is mud not dust.

Hmmm ducted vacuuming, I am wondering that myself atm... and your HT is looking good too...

Cheers
J

hYSteRIcAL said...

Your alfresco looks great with the bi-fold doors! It looks just like the display houses!

We didn't get ducted vacuum too, hope we won't regret that decision...

Anonymous said...

DAVID !!!!
I've missed you!!!
Well, I've missed your posts ... don't want Mrs DG comin after me :(

Love what you've done to the place!
The alfresco decking and furniture is just screaming to be used. I'll use it if you're short of offers :))

Theatre room pics are awesome. We really do have very similar tastes, but you're stealing all my ideas. Stop it!

And the final word ... CONCRETE!
I don't know about you but it's the next best thing since render was invented to cover up the bricky's work :)

Cheers
Liana
PS: Need anyone to come and test-drive the alfresco?

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

Guys, a great post showing light at the end of the tunnel for everyone. What you ahve doen to the place looks really good. Like the media room and the Alfresco area. Bet your enjoying that. R&C

DeGaul said...

ah it's good to be bantering with you crazy guys again...

Toni. The dirt is already reduced by 50%, so this is a good thing. Still a vacant block next door, so destined for dust for a long time yet. Very onbservent of little B to notice the posters. Doesn't miss much.
Looking forward to seeing your Cremorne soon.

Bell'. I've been technically challenged for a long time now.... and I'm an I.T Manager... ha.....!
I agree with you that mud may be marginally better than dust. Nevertheless, beg, borrow and steal to get your paths in nice and early.

Hyst'. Ok, it sounds like you had to cross off the ducted vacuuming like we did. (in the end, we had to put a line through a few options and upgrades. gggrrrr).
Hope you aren't pinning your hopes on a $120 k-mart special to vacuum 41sq...? It just wont cut it.
Welcome to Club Dyson.

Hey Liana. Thanks for the compliments on HT pics. Now if you or anyone else can give me a tip on getting the creases out, I'd be happier.
And I'm on standby to receive your booking for an alfresco sitting.
And I hear that a nice new Windsor is not far away.....

Hi R&C. Only sat out there for the first time with friends on Sunday. Very cosy. Some drinks, some laughs, some reflecting on the last 12 months......

Anonymous said...

Hey David,

To get the creases out of the pics in your HT, there are 2 methods:

1. The Irish Method
Take frame off wall, put face-up on ironing board, turn iron on, press steam button and gently run across glass in a circular motion. Hang back on wall. Don't forget to turn the iron off.

2. The Liana Method
Take back of the frame, removed picture, get it laminated in gloss (not matt), trim edges if necessary to fit back in frame, hang back on wall. The result is a much glossier and superior finish (just like a bought one) AND ... it gets the creases out. Shop around for laminating prices. Some are rip-offs.

Let me know if you decide to use the first method, so I can come around and video tape you doing it.

Cheers
Liana

Toni said...

You guys are too funny ;-)

Toni said...

oh and observant? my kids? ummm yes, they have me for a Mother! I don't usually miss much ;-) Ask Steve lol!